Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Crochet Appliqué Crown

While looking through Pinterest, as that seems to be my nightly ritual, I noticed one of my friends found a blog containing the instructions for crocheting a Crown appliqué .  I immediately repinned it and pulled out my crochet hook and my metallic silver yarn (that I actually had on hand I might add).  Since it took a whole 3 minutes before I was working the pattern, I didn't even notice that the author of the pattern had written it in English terms and not American.  How many of you knew there was a difference...show of hands...I myself only found this out recently and I've been crocheting for (dare I actually say it) 26 years now.  After a quick google search to make sure I was translating it correctly, I made an absolutely beautiful crown.

Now what to do with it?  The pattern gave a few suggestions but all of them included sewing it to something else.  Since it was now 15 minutes after initially finding the pattern, I had nothing else made up to use.  I may crochet fast but I'm not a miracle worker.  It did look pretty cute on its own though.  After holding it up to my daughter's head and playing with the positioning, I decided to sew it to an elastic strap and voila...a super cute crown was able to sit perfectly on my daughter's sweet little head!




As a courtesy for everyone, I decided to translate the pattern into American terms.  Definitely check out the original blog though!  The author has some great pictures.  http://sarahlondon.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/commemorative-crocheted-crown/


Royal Baby Crown
Ch 13.
1st Row: Work 1 sc into 2nd ch from hook, work 1 sc into ea ch across, ch 1 turn.
2nd Row: Work 1 dc into each sc across, ch 1 turn.
3rd Row: Work 1 sc into each dc across, turn.
4th Row: Sl st into first 2 sts, * ch 3, skip 1 st, work 1 sc into next st, rep from * 4 times, sl st into remaining last 2 sts, turn.
5th Row: Ch 6, work 1 dc into ch-3 loop, ch 4, work 1 dc into next ch-3 loop, ch 6, work 1 dc into next ch-3 loop, ch 4, work 1 dc into next ch-3 loop, ch 6, sl st into last st, turn.
6th Row: Work 6 sc into ch-6 loop, work 4 sc into ch-4 loop, work 4 sc, ch 3, 4 sc into ch-6 loop, work 4 sc into ch-4 loop, work 6 sc into ch-6 loop.
Fasten off.


Again, I am by no means trying to claim this pattern as my own.  I'm just trying to make it more accessible and spread this great pattern to more people!
As always, enjoy and happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment